SCA Uniform Dress Code
The following uniform dress code has been adopted by the SCA Board of Education and is enforced so students reflect a neat, modest appearance. For items that may be in question, the principal’s decision will stand. SCA students are required to wear clothing that meets the following specifications. Dress Code requirements are different for students in grades K-6 (Elementary) and 7-12 (Secondary).
Grades K-6 Dress Code
The following uniform dress code has been adopted by the SCA Board of Education and is enforced so students reflect a neat, modest appearance. For items that may be in question, the principal’s decision will stand. SCA students are required to wear clothing that meets the following specifications:
● Long or short-sleeved, collared, button polo shirts in any solid color. No contrasting trim or piping should be visible. Small pockets are fine on a shirt.
● Button-front oxford, blouse, or blue denim shirts with long or 3/4 length sleeves in any solid color with no visible contrasting trim or piping.
● K-4 may wear solid color turtlenecks as a primary shirt. Grades 5-6 may wear solid color turtlenecks only under a sweater, sweatshirt, jumper, or polo.
● Only school-approved SCA logos are acceptable on any shirt. Shirt brands/logos must not be visible.
● Shirts must be tucked in at all times. Parents should check the ability of the shirt to stay tucked in by having students raise their hands over their heads.
● Solid colors with no visible brand names or logos (except school-approved SCA logos).
● Pullover, cardigan, V-neck, or vest. Ponchos are not acceptable.
● All sweaters must have a separate collar showing above the neckline. (Solid color cowl/turtleneck sweaters are not acceptable.) The collar should be from a polo, oxford, blouse, turtleneck, or denim shirt.
● School sweatshirts only. Must be purchased through the school with the school logo. These are the only sweatshirts that may be worn during the school day.
● If a student desires to wear a “hoodie” sweatshirt (zip or pullover) as a jacket, it must have an SCA logo.
● School sweatshirts and hoodies may be worn. However, if the sweatshirt or hoodie is removed, school dress code must be followed.
● Tan khaki, navy blue, gray, or black dress slacks or capris with or without pockets.
● Very small brand name logos may be visible.
● Cotton or cotton-polyester twill fabric.
● Proportioned to fit; i.e., not extremely tight or baggy.
● Skirts/shorts/skorts must measure no higher than 4” from the bottom of the kneecap. Skirt slits should measure no higher than 4” from the bottom of the kneecap.
● No jeans, corduroys, or cargo pants. Flares should not be extreme.
● Leggings should not be worn as pants. They may be worn under length-appropriate skirts – solid colors only.
● Girls may not wear nylons. Tights and leggings must be opaque rather than sheer.
● Any lace-up or velcro tennis shoe that is non-marking may be worn. (zippers on tennis shoes are not acceptable as they damage the gym floor.)
● All dress shoes are acceptable.
● No plastic shoes, pool shoes, or sandals are acceptable. This is a playground safety issue.
● Must be worn with all pants, shorts, skorts and skirts with belt loops.
● Tan khaki, navy blue, gray, or black jumpers may be worn (no denim). Skirt length regulations apply.
● Polo dresses with sleeves may be worn. Skirt length regulations should be followed.
Students participating in Boy Scout or Girl Scout programs may wear their Class A uniforms to school.
Hair and Makeup
● Girls may have up to two ear piercings per ear. No other visible body piercing jewelry allowed.
● Boys may wear a short chain inside the shirt and one or two finger rings. Boys may not wear long necklaces or earrings. No visible body piercing allowed.
● No unusual or extreme hairstyles for boys or girls.
● Girls may wear jewelry, but not large or excessive.
● No visible tattoos.
● Boys’ hair should be of moderate length or shorter (at or above the eyebrows, collar, and mid-ear). No hair accessories.
● Hair may not be dyed an abnormal color; i.e., blue, pink, green, etc. (except during spirit week).
● No facial hair.
● Boys may not wear nail polish or makeup.
● No hats or sunglasses may be worn while in school buildings.
Download the Dress Code for Grades K-6
Grades 7-12 Dress Code
In Genesis 3:21, God provided clothes for Adam and Eve to cover their bodies. 1 Timothy 2:9 sets a standard of dress that states, “dress modestly, with decency and propriety.” Scripture also teaches that we are to be examples in every area of our lives, recognizing that we are representatives of Jesus Christ (1 Timothy 4:12.) Therefore, the SCA Board has a policy that states students are to dress in a “neat and modest manner.”
For the purposes of student dress, we set the following guidelines.
Definition of neat: clean and orderly. Clothing should be in good repair; no holes, tears, or frays. All clothing must be proportioned to fit (not baggy, not tight). School clothing must not be something intended to be worn as activewear or athleisure (i.e. sweatpants, yoga pants, athletic shorts, pajama pants, etc.)
Definition of modest: avoiding the appearance of impropriety; not revealing too much of a person's body. The material should be opaque (not see-through). Shoulders, midriffs (front and back), and cleavage should be covered. No undergarments should be visible. Clothing must be proportioned to fit - not tight or baggy.
NEW INFO. ON DRESS CODE! In addition to standard dress code expectations, secondary students may follow these guidelines and be considered in dress code:
Any SCA-branded shirt (i.e. t-shirt, hoodie, jacket, sweatshirt) is allowed (except SCA PE shirts).
Any current dress code colored (tan, khaki, black, gray, navy) pants/shorts are allowed, as long as they are NOT athletic wear, too tight, too short, or blue denim material.
Examples of athletic wear are basketball/gym shorts, tights, leggings, and sweatpants
All current dress code standards for accessories (i.e. hair, jewelry) still apply.
Liddle Sports in Lee’s Summit (100 NE Tudor Rd #111, Lee's Summit, MO 64086) is an official provider of dress code approved items for secondary students and families AND through a contract with SCA donates back to Summit Christian Academy through the sales of their products. You may work with Liddle Sports, in addition to continuing to purchase spirit wear from the school directly. Liddle Sports also has the ability to embroider the SCA logo or name of the school on tops (i.e. t-shirt, hoodie, jacket, sweatshirt).
If a student chooses to embroider the SCA logo or name of the school on a top, it has to be clearly visible and meet the standard dress code expectations for neat, modest, graphics, wording, and logos.
Boys: Any solid color collared shirt without graphics or wording. SCA graphics on collared shirts are acceptable. Small name brand or manufacturer logos are acceptable if less than 1 square inch. T-shirts must be SCA t-shirts (SCA PE shirts are not accepted).
Girls: Any solid color dress shirt with or without a collar and without graphics or wording. SCA graphics on collared shirts are acceptable. Small name brand or manufacturer logos are acceptable if less than 1 square inch. T-shirts must be SCA t-shirts (SCA PE shirts are not accepted). Non-collared dress shirts must not be “gappy” at the top and meet the definition of modest both standing and when leaning over. All shirts must also meet the definition of “neat” and not have holes in the arms or shoulder areas.
(Definition of a sweater per SCA dress code is: A knitted or crocheted garment with sleeves worn over the upper body.) Any solid color sweater without graphics or wording worn over approved dress code shirt; only small brand name or manufacturer logos – less than 1 square inch in size. (No denim material.)
Only SCA sweatshirts and jackets with the SCA logo are allowed and only worn over dress code approved shirts.
Any navy blue, black, tan, khaki, or gray solid color dress pants, capris, or shorts allowed. Shorts must be at or longer than mid-thigh. No sweatpants or athletic shorts. Solid color leggings may be worn only under dress code length dresses or skirts. (No denim material). No athleisure wear.
Any navy blue, black, tan, khaki, or gray solid color skirt is allowed. Skirts should be no shorter than 4 inches from the bottom of the knee. (No denim material.)
Any street shoes allowed.
Must be worn with all pants, capris, shorts, skorts, and skirts with belt loops.
Some special events will require dress code or special attire. For games and optional events, we ask that students dress in a neat and modest fashion.
Boys: Need to maintain a neat and well-groomed appearance, no facial hair, no makeup, and hair length needs to remain out of eyes and not touching shoulder without the use of any hair accessories. Hair must not be dyed any non-natural hair color (except during spirit week and only if it can be completely washed out). Boys may not wear any hair accessories or have unusual or extreme hairstyles. Boys may only wear a short chain necklace inside dress code shirts. May wear no more than two finger rings. No visible tattoos or piercings. No nail polish. Hats are not allowed.
Girls: May wear jewelry, but not large or excessive. May have up to two ear piercings in each ear, but no other piercings. No visible tattoos. Hair must not be dyed any non-natural hair color (except during spirit week and only if it can be completely washed out). No unusual or extreme hairstyles. Hats are not allowed.
Download the Dress Code for Grades 7-12
Want to check out Summit Christian Academy firsthand?
Schedule a personalized look at our facility.